The Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington DC just announced that two songs from Alexander’s House, “Get Out The Gay” and “They Played a Tape of the Pope”, were the top vote-getters in the Verizon Wireless-sponsored “Text2Vote” post-concert survey. Woohoo!
Overheard at the GMCW concert And I Am Telling You, Lisner Auditorium, Washington DC 6/05/11
The first half was the world premiere of Alexander’s House.
The second half featured a special appearance by Jennifer Holliday.
Orchestra center aisle, from the two sitting right behind us.
Before the concert:
The second half can only be better than the first… 11 songs in the first half? Hopefully it will go fast.
Well, I don’t know how Jennifer Holliday will top that.
The official website for ‘Brief Reunion’ went online yesterday at briefreunion.com.
Watch the trailer below — which includes pieces of Mike’s film score:
Randy Weiner, co-author of “Caligula Maximus“, was profiled in the New York Times ‘Fashion & Style’ section today about “Sleep No More”, and the first three paragraphs were all about “Caligula”!
- He Puts The Maximus In The Circus –Jed Lipinski, nytimes.com, May 4, 2011
(here is the nytimes.com direct link, beware the paywall)
Here is a great feature on “Caligula Maximus“, the hard-to-accurately-explain theatre/nightclub hybrid show I wrote and produced the music for that opened at House of Yes last week.
- Caligula Maximus :: Black Party by way of Hedwig & Cirque du Soleil
–John Russell, edgefireisland.com, April 15, 2011
- Gay Men’s Chorus wants to ‘friend’ you this weekend
–Charlene Baldridge, sdnews.com, April 7, 2011
- “Friend Me” featuring “Through A Glass, Darkly”
Here are some press items in advance of my show “Caligula Maximus” opening soon at House of Yes in Brooklyn.
- PRESS RELEASE: THE SAINT AT LARGE® Presents Caligula Maximus – A New Musical Disco Circus – featuring NYC Underground Superstar Kayvon Zand
–Popular Publicity, March 30, 2011
- Kayvon Zand Leads CALIGULA MAXIMUS At House Of Yes
–BroadwayWorld.com, March 30, 2011
- Jamin Ruhren, Kayvon Zand, et al. Set for Caligula Maximus
–TheaterMania.com, March 30, 2011
The San Diego Gay Men’s Chorus will be performing the West Coast premiere of Mike’s oratorio “Through A Glass, Darkly” on April 9-10, 2011 in La Jolla at the 500-seat Lawrence Family Jewish Community Center’s David and Dorothea Garfield Theatre.
The SDGMC production will be the 6th for “Darkly” since the World Premiere by the Twin Cities Gay Men’s Chorus in March 2008.
Tickets are $25-$40 and can beat SDGMC.org.
- San Diego Gay Men’s Chorus Acquires West Coast Premiere of THROUGH A GLASS DARKLY -broadwayworld.com, 2/17/11
- Gay men’s chorus sets auditions on Feb. 27 for “Through a Glass, Darkly” -sdgln.com, 2/22/11
Overheard at Angels in America, Signature Theatre Company, NYC 12/09/10
Row G, center – at the start of the second intermission:
Is it over?
Or another hour…
Is it over?
Oh, they just give us a break every so often.
The December 6th reading of Mike’s new musical “The Astonishing Return of… the Protagonists!” got picked up by Playbill.com: