2008 ended with the Twin Cities Gay Men’s Chorus’ premiere of Mike’s oratorio “Through A Glass, Darkly“ being cited for “Outstanding Achievement in Opera” by MN’s Lavender Magazine (Thanks! But…opera?). At least five more choruses around the country have expressed interest in staging their own concert productions in the near-future.
“Last Days of Left Eye” was released on DVD on September 9.
“Go-Go Beach“ played a few more places including high schools in Australia and Metro Detroit, bringing us to 107 lifetime performances spanning 4 countries and 12 US states.
I wrote the music for a full-length dance show conceived and choreographed by Jeff Shade called “Playground” which was presented in December at the Manhattan Movement and Arts Center.
Here’s a quick overview of some things coming up for us in 2009.
- March 25-29 – “Go-Go Beach” at Centennial High School in Roswell, GA.
- April 18 – Mike’s newest choral work, “I Want More Life”, will be premiered by the Twin Cities Gay Men’s Chorus for the occasion of the at the Guthrie Theater. Commissioned by the Chorus especially for the Kushner Festival, the work is a TTBB setting of a monologue from Kushner’s play “Angels In America: Perestroika”. The performance will be at the Festival’s Community Kick-Off event prior to the opening of “Caroline, or Change”.
- May 3 – “I Want More Life” will be performed by the Twin Cities Gay Men’s Chorus at Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis at a concert in celebration of the 40th Anniversary of the Minneapolis-based professional chorus VocalEssence. The TC-GMC was invited to join five other choruses to mark the occasion. (tickets)
- May 8-9, 15-16 – “Go-Go Beach” at in Taylor, MI.
- May 15 – The second performance of “I Want More Life” in conjunction with the Tony Kushner Celebration at the Guthrie Theatre, performed opening night of the world premiere of Kushner’s new play “The Intelligent Homosexual’s Guide to Capitalism and Socialism with a Key to the Scriptures“.
- June 2 – The third and fourth performances of “I Want More Life”, for the Guthrie’s “Talk-About” series.
- June 6-7 – “Through A Glass, Darkly”, performed by the Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington DC at Lisner Auditorium – GW Campus, Washington, DC.
- June 8 – The fifth performance of “I Want More Life”, prior to Tony Kushner’s “Global Voice” talk at the Guthrie Theatre.
- June 19-20 – “Through A Glass, Darkly”, performed by the Miami Gay Men’s Chorus at the Miami Beach Colony Theatre.
That’s not to say I’m not doing anything… just nothing with dates yet. Ben Britten, Mike, and I are writing an iPhone game, hopefully releasable by mid-year. Being our first game together, we really don’t have any idea how long it will take to complete, tho. I am also developing a theatre-related website with some folks, but it’s too early to talk about that. And a few music projects in mind, once the paying work clears up.
Mike is also scoring a short film by filmmaker Andrew Lund and edited by our film cohort John Daschbach. It is looking to be a serious contender this film festival season. There are some rumblings about possible future choral commissions, too. More as things develop.